Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Cooking up some goodness!

As the weather cools, we naturally migrate towards warmer, carbohydrate-based dishes. But don't think this means only freshly baked cakes and cookies! A lovely friend of mine just reminded me that not everyone knows about the grain I consider my favorite....Quinoa (pronounced: Keen-Wa).

Quinoa is nutritious whole grain which is high in fiber and a great source of protein (containing all eight essential amino-acids) - its protein content being what sets it apart from other whole grains. I particularly love it because it is gluten-free, so helps me on my path of trying to find filling and satisfying foods which agree with me! As you might suspect, Quinoa is as old as the hills, and was a primary staple of the ancient Incas. It has a slightly nutty flavour, (but don't worry my nut-sensitive audience, it's a grain, not a nut).

Not only is it a nutrition-powerhouse, but it is really versatile which makes it a good household staple ... I eat it as a warm porridge in the mornings when it's cold outside, and also as a substitute for pasta for lunch or dinner. I often have a big batch of cooked quinoa in my fridge, and in the mornings I just warm some up with soy or rice milk, add fresh or dried fruit depending on the time of year, a few nuts and/or seeds, and blue agave to sweeten - easy! I also have a handful of much-loved dinner recipes and here I give you my favorite to help inspire you to try it! Yum....


Quinoa with Roasted or Grilled Vegetables

I love this recipe – it’s a great, easy and can be served at room temperature in the summer or warm in the winter. Due to the high protein content of quinoa compared to other grains, it is a meal in itself, but feel free to add grilled chicken, goats or feta cheese, and nuts and seeds to make it more filling!

Serves 4

· 255g/9 oz quinoa
· 1 red or orange pepper
· 1 green pepper
· 1 yellow pepper
· 2-3 small courgettes (zucchini)
· 1 red onion
· 3 carrots, peeled
· 10 mushrooms
· 1/2 a butternut squash
· Olive Oil
· Salt and freshly ground pepper
· 3 good handfuls of mixed fresh herbs (basil, coriander, mint, flat-leafed parsley)

Preheat the oven to 425°F

Chop all the vegetables into similar sized ‘large-bite-size’ pieces. Cut the mushrooms in half or leave whole if they are small. Toss in a bowl so that they are covered with olive oil, salt & pepper.
Either:
Place on a roasting tray, as spread out as possible. If the roasting tray is too small for them to be only 1 layer, use 2 trays.
Place them in the oven to roast – 40-50 minutes. Shake them around in the tray once or twice during this time.
Or:
Put them on the grill / BBQ, turning occasionally, until they are cooked through.

Boil the quinoa according to packet instructions. Drain.
When they are soft and crisp, remove the vegetables from the oven and toss them into a bowl with the quinoa. Throw in the fresh herbs, loosen with a little more olive oil, toss and season to taste!

Notes:
1. Quinoa is similar in taste and texture to couscous but it is wheat-free and has a higher protein content. It’s a great grain to keep in your cupboards! I love it.
2. Remember that you can substitute different vegetables, depending on what you feel like and what is in season.

No comments:

Post a Comment